The incoming freshman class of 13 college-bound students join the 30 upper classmen in the Sandpipers Scholarship Program 2015-2016!
Sandpipers has been providing financial assistance to college-bound students since 1941 and is the oldest continuing aid program in the South Bay. Supporting more than 40 students per year, the program is unique in funding our qualified recipients throughout the four continuous years of their undergraduate studies. In recent years, we have achieved an astounding graduation rate of 98%, suggesting that Sandpipers’ scholarship money is well invested.
In 2016, Sandpipers awarded more than $250,000 to 40 students (freshman – senior). High school seniors living in the South Bay (both citizens and eligible non-citizens as defined by the US Department of Education) are eligible to apply for a Sandpipers Scholarship.
New this year for Sandpipers, the entire Sandpipers Scholarship Application will be online. It will go up in mid-December at the latest.
Once all the applications have been received, the Scholarship Committee conducts a rigorous review, screening all applications. Select candidates have the opportunity to meet with the Sandpipers Scholarship Committee for in-person interviews.
Our selection of the new students in our program is based on the following:
• students’ community and school involvement
• academic achievement,
• financial need,
• and personal commitment to financially contribute to their own education.
• Note: children and grandchildren of Sandpipers members are not eligible.
Application Requirements and Process
Any senior student meeting all eligibility requirements below is eligible to apply for a Sandpipers Scholarship.
• U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen (as defined by the U.S. Department of Education in The Student Guide)
• Cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher
• Permanent resident of the South Bay area of Southern California (roughly bounded by the 105 and 110 freeways)
o Students residing outside the South Bay area are not eligible
• Attend a South Bay high school
• Demonstrate a financial need
• Online applications with all supporting materials uploaded need to be complete by midnight on Friday, February 10, 2017
Sandpipers online application is now available at http://app.smartersedlect.com/programs/35440-Sandpipers. We have notified the counselors at the high schools listed below that the application is ready and sent them the link to share with their students.
Students will need access to computers and scanners in order to complete the application.
For students that do not have access to a scanner to scan their required documents, the apps Evernote Scannable for iPhones and CamScanner for Android phones are free and highly recommended.
|El Segundo||North Torrance|
|Environmental Charter||Palos Verdes|
|Hawthorne||Palos Verdes Penninsula|
|Hawthorne Math and Science Charter||Redondo Union|
|Mary Star of the Sea||West Torrance|
If you have any questions, please contact Sandpipers at firstname.lastname@example.org.